What benefits am I entitled to as a carer?
Benefits advice is part of the information and advice that a Carer Support Worker can give. You can find further advice and guidance from the following organisations and services.
Can I get some time out?
If you care for someone, you may be entitled to have an assessment, which is undertaken by Social Work Department, to see what might help make your life easier. This is called a carer’s assessment.
It might recommend things like:
- someone to take over caring so you can take a break
- gym membership and exercise classes to relieve stress
- help with taxi fares if you don’t drive
- help with gardening and housework
- training how to lift safely
- putting you in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to
- advice about benefits for carers
A carer’s assessment is free and anyone over 18 can ask for one.